29 September 2010

Unlocking DRM protected eBooks for Downloading onto iPhone

  • Finally solved a problem that has been bugging me for days.
  • Currently am buying eBooks from Kobo which are delivered by email containing a file/link which has a .acsm extension.
  • To open the .acsm file and download the ePub file you need to install Adobe Digital Editions on your computer. The downloaded ePub file is DRM protected ie it can only be read on my Mac or PC (upto 5 authorised computers) but NOT iPhone/iPad.
  • Solution : 1st, remove the DRM protection by following the instructions here. You will probably need to install RAR Knife onto your PC to get started. I assure you the process is not as scary as it looks.
  • 2nd, send the decrypted ePub book file to yourself via email. Open the email in iPhone, press and hold the ePub file icon until Open in "iBooks" appears. Voila, ebook ready to go in your library !
  • I am NOT doing this to re-distribute my eBooks and depriving the authors of their livelihood/copyright. All I want is to get my book collection into electronic format for easy mobility and long term storage. Am happily paying the purchase prices of the locked copies of these eBooks so I can get to read them on the device of my choice.
  • Addendum 12Aug12 : Just found DRM removal freeware that does the same job (all of the above) here.

4 comments:

DRM Protection said...

Thanks for this solution. Really this helps me to protect DRM and how to unlock through iphone. Thanks once again for giving nice steps for this solution...

Taichiseal said...

Am glad someone found this useful. Since my original post, I have discovered Dropbox which allows global access and syncs files in a cloud location.

So .. much more efficient to unlock all your eBooks into a Dropbox folder. Install Dropbox on your iPhone/iPad. You can then open the book directly from Dropbox instead of having to email yourself.

Taichiseal said...

Also now find that Stanza is the best e-book reader. Much better than iBooks.

Taichiseal said...

Re-installed the whole setup on a different Windows XP computer.

Just realized that on the new computer, Adobe Digital Editions need to be authorized ie. sign in with your ADE account. If not authorized, the decrypting process will fail.